We would be in a downright pickle if we weren’t able to shop for our fruit and vegetables because of food shortages. City slickers drive down to their favorite shop and buy their groceries; whereas country folk know a thing or two about growing their own.
Most people living in the country have to travel for miles before they see any signs of a shop and they sure know about hard times living off the land.
So it is not surprising that some of these people have the smarts. They naturally ferment their food. Preserving fruit and vegetables through natural fermentation and bottling them will ensure they last for months without spoiling.
I’m opposed to canned foods and for good reasons. So I was very pleased when the publishing company Quarry Books sent me Alex Lewin’s Soon to Be Released book “Real Food Fermentation” for me to review.
I love the layout of the book. Each chapter has easy to read instructions which are accompanied with step by step illustrations.
You will learn about the fundamentals to get you started; understanding the procedure of fermentation, which implements to use and a guide for steering you in the right direction of which foods to choose.
“Real Food Fermentation” not only covers how to ferment vegetables but how to ferment fruits, dairy, fish and much more.
Alex Lewin has given an abundance of information in his book; including why we should preserve food and why it is so good for us.
I know I will be trying my hand at fermenting my fruit and vegetables as I do not know how many countless times I have wasted them through spoilage.
Before I get started I’ll be buying myself some Mason Jars and with Alex Lewin’s book, “Real Food Fermentation”, I’ll be bringing back the age old tradition of my ancestors.
“Real Food Fermentation”, by Alex Lewin
Alex’s New Book Released on July 1st, 2012
You can Order this book at one of the following online stores:
- Amazon: Worldwide shipping available.
- Barnes & Noble: All orders amounting to $25 or more qualify for Free Standard Shipping within the U.S. Please check their terms and conditions for what qualifies as free standard shipping. International shipping available.
- Fishpond is one of Australia’s biggest online book stores. They ship within Australia.
Good Reasons to Eat Fermented Foods
- Improves digestion
- Restores good bacteria in the intestine (bowel)
- Abundant with enzymes
- Helps absorb the nutrients we ingest
- Enhances the flavor of other foods we eat
Where to Purchase Glass Mason Jars:
- Amazon (U.S): Worldwide Shipping.
- Amazon: (UK.) They offer International Shipping.
- Ozfarmer: This company has a large selection of Mason Glass Jars. They ship within Australia.
Other Quarry Books Featured on Erin’s Eco List
- “Going Raw” by Judita Wignall
- “Hand Spun” by Lexi Boeger
- “Green Guide for Artists” by Karen Michel
- “The Home Orchard Handbook” by Cem Akin and Leah Rottke.